I have been hesitant to put out a message out because I know first hand from working in the ER what a barrage of messages about medical concerns can do someone’s mental and physical health, and I have also felt confident about our cleaning procedures we already have in place, but I feel that it is my duty to share with our community that we are up-to-date and doing everything we can to continue to keep M3 sparkling clean and a great place for you to practice
After 12 years as a nurse, I know a thing or two about viruses and how to prevent the spread of them. I took care of several patients when I worked in the Open Heart ICU at Hopkins post-lung transplant from H1N1. I say this to you because I know how important it is to take things like this seriously and deliver accurate information in a way that doesn’t induce further fear.
I want you to know M3 is here as a safe (and clean) home away from home for you. There is a lot of information out there about COVID-19 (aka coronavirus), and I will leave that to the experts. Instead, I want to let you know what we have already been doing for some time now.
What we always do:
- Require our teachers to wash or disinfect their hands before/after classes
- Use cleaner and disinfectant in the lobby, bathrooms and practice spaces throughout the day
- Clean blankets, bolsters and other props regularly
- Wipe down common areas multiple times per day
- Wash and sanitize eucalyptus, hand, sweat and mat towels daily
- Have hand sanitizer available for use
- Disinfect our eye pillows after every use
- Wash and disinfect studio mats
- Dry mop the practice space after every class
- Swap out air system and humidifier filters
What we are also doing:
- We have switched to Lysol disinfectant for now. The cleaners we’re using kill 99.9% of viruses, including COVID-19. Previously, we’ve used more eco-friendly options.
- Changed our fabric, blanket and bolster disinfectant
- Regularly disinfecting all common surfaces (doorknobs, counters, lockers, water cooler handles etc.) and props (kneepads, blocks, resistance bands, etc.)
- Reducing hands-on adjustments
- Stopped placing cool eucalyptus towels on people’s foreheads/bodies and started placing them directly on your mat for you to use as you like
- Switched to diffusing doTERRA On Guard. On Guard helps purify the air
- Put hand sanitizer at both front desks
- Stopped handing out eye pillows
- Switched to a stronger studio mat cleaner that also kills 99.9% of viruses.
- Removed hand towels from the bathrooms and replaced with paper towels
- Stayed up-to-date on all federal, state and local guidelines and recommendations
- Temporarily stopped using essential oils rollers
What you can do:
- If you have cold/flu symptoms or are sick, please stay home! This helps make everyone feel safe and stay healthy
- Bring your own mat/towel/eye pillow. Though ours remain available free of charge, this is a way you can help us and yourself. We have mats and other props you can purchase in studio or have us order for you. A fresh order of grippy towel is on the way.
- Wash your hands frequently, for 20-30 seconds at a time
- Come to class clean and maintain good personal hygiene
- Cover your mouth if you cough or sneeze, then wash your hands after doing so
- Keep doing yoga! Yoga is a great way to stay healthy mentally and physically. Studies also have shown a regular yoga practice can boost your immune system.
- Shop local! Support all your favorite local small businesses that are being affected the most by the economic effect of COVID-19.
We share this not to panic you, but to make you aware of what we’ve already been doing. Our studios are a safe (and clean) space for you to come to and escape your worries.
I commit to keeping our spaces as clean as possible. This is not a new commitment, but a continued one. I love you all and encourage you to keep practicing on Warriors.
Stay diligent and practical, and please, oh please, have some fun with each other. Laughter helps the immune system, for real.
We will continue to update you if there are any other needs. Thanks Warriors, much love from Matt and I.